[Fedora-directory-users] Hostname does not match CN....

Susan logastellus at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 13:37:50 UTC 2006

--- George Holbert <gholbert at broadcom.com> wrote:

> > Uhm...I can try, but in that case, is it possible that I've a problem
> > with replication ?
>
> I don't think so.  I've noticed that replication agreements over SSL
> don't seem to care about hostname / CN matching, although they do check
> that the CA is trusted.  If I have the wrong impression on this, someone
> please say so :).

Guys,

you shouldn't have to do this.  This is what I have in my cert DB:

[root at cnyldap01 alias]# ../shared/bin/certutil -L -d .
CA certificate                                               CTu,u,u
NJ-Server-Cert                                               u,u,u
NJ-admin-server-cert                                         u,u,u
NY-Server-Cert                                               u,u,u
NY-admin-server-cert                                         u,u,u

I then sent the cert8.db & key3.db over to the other server, setup the replication agreements back
& forth and voila!  Basically, I shoved all my certs in 1 DB and blasted that everywhere.

Now, for the floating IP.  If you've two nodes, node1 & node2 and a VIP, ldap.com and your outside
clients talk to ldap.com and your certs are signed with node1 & node2 then I'm guessing SSL
verification will fail.  You're trying to talk to ldap.com but your certs are signed with node1/2
-- no go.  For this end to end SSL to work, you'd need an SSL terminator IN FRONT of the FDS
servers, something that will impersonate ldap.com, return a cert for ldap.com and then turn around
and encrypt the traffic again, passing it to either node1 or node2.  A cute little problem is what
to do when the ssl proxy fails?  :)

The thing is like this.  What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Why have two FDS servers in
1 location?  Why have the virtual IP?  It really doesn't buy you a whole lot.  Have 2 FDSs if you
insist but then list all of them in the clients' ldap.conf -- no problem.