[Fedora-directory-users] NSS_ldap....(was... SubjectAltName how does it work?)

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Mon Apr 17 04:09:55 UTC 2006

> 2) When for test I shutted nodo1 query and authentication was made >
> correctly from nodo2, but I saw that in this case it was slower than with
>  > nodo1...for
> every query I ave to wait about 3 seconds....while with nodo1 it was
> istantaneous.

This is currently how PADL nss_ldap works.  Whenever it needs to talk to a
ldap server, it tries the server list in order.  It doesn't maintain state
about which servers in the list are down.  If the first server in the list
is up, you'll get the fastest response.

The bind timelimit specifies how long it will try binding to each server in
the list.  Setting this lower will give you better response time if the
first server is down.

There are some comments in the notes for PADL's latest nss_ldap release
about "more robust failover support".  If you like, you could try the latest
nss_ldap version instead of the RedHat/Fedora bundled version and see what's
changed.

LDAP client support for server lists/failover varies a lot.  Several client
apps don't implement it at all.  So depending on what apps you need to
support, it often makes more sense to provide redundancy at the server
(e.g., with a load balancer).