[Fedora-directory-users] Exporting MD5 Hash from FD-DS into /etc/shadow

DeMarco, Dennis DDeMarco at seisint.com
Tue Apr 18 17:36:48 UTC 2006

I'll give this a try, but looking at /etc/shadow right now does not look
like HEX characters after the $1$.

Does anyone know if this is a standard algorithm? Or if /etc/pam can use
SHA or another encryption I can easily export out of the directory
server? So far my searches seem only MD5 or crypt is what is normal for
Redhat.

>dennis demarco com wrote:

>I would like to export the MD5 hash from the Fedora directory user's
password attribute into /etc/shadow of a Linux machine not in LDAP
(Redhat).

>It appears this isn't working, is there a way for me to do this? Not
all machines are using >ldap but I would like to export from ldap.

>Hi,

>I haven't tried this, but here's an idea just off the top of my head
which _might_ work:

>1. take away the {MD5} from the string

>2. base64 decode the rest of the string

>3. convert the string to hex

>4. put the $1$ at the front of the hex string

>5. put the whole string into the password field in /etc/shadow and test

>If that works, you could write a perl script to automate the procedure.
And report back to >the list as well :-)

BR,

--
mike

This message (including any attachments)
contains confidential information intended for a
specific individual and purpose, and is protected
by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message.  Any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited.