[Fedora-directory-users] Net::LDAP or Mozilla::LDAP::Conn/Entry for FDS

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 1 14:40:41 UTC 2006

Nick Johnson wrote:
> What are the disadvantages of sticking with Net::LDAP and not using
> Mozilla::LDAP::Conn/Entry as the Perl module interface for Fedora DS
> v.1.0.2?
Net::LDAP allows you to use all of the LDAPv3 controls and extended
operations by providing an ASN.1 parser.  I personally like the OO
interface of Net::LDAP.

Mozilla::LDAP is a wrapper around the C libraries, so it is as much as a
factor of 10 faster.  So if you need as much performance as you can get,
use it instead of Net::LDAP which is native perl.  Also, if you want to
use Mozilla NSS for crypto, you must use Mozilla::LDAP - Net::LDAP uses
Net::SSLeay which is a wrapper around openssl.