[Fedora-directory-users] LDAP and GDM

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Wed Aug 2 19:31:54 UTC 2006

Del wrote:
> Ian Bishop wrote:
>
>> I've setup my Fedora box to authenticate SSH session off Fedora
>> Directory, however I'm having some trouble getting X session to
>> authenticate.
>>
>> I searched on google and found someone with exactly the same problem,
>> unfortunately noone seemed to have an answer for them at the time:
>>
>> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2003-January/msg00012.html
>>

>> Is anyone successfully authenticating X sessions with GDM & LDAP?
>

> I think this bug has been around for a long time, and I can't recall
> the exact genesis of it, but it appears to be a bug in GDM.  For
> some reason it can't authenticate to LDAP unless SSL is turned on.

Hi,
  I have FC5 -> GDM -> LDAP authentication working.

  The strange thing is that the password must be entered into the first
prompt, and username into the second prompt... And sometimes you have to
give the username and password combo twice before becoming authenticated.

  I'm still trying to figure out whether the bug is in the pam modules
or GDM... But I haven't really had the time or proper motivation to
analyze it with a debugger or ethereal yet.

BR,
Mike
--
http://www.netauth.com - LDAP Directory Consulting