[Fedora-directory-users] FDS + pGina vs FDS + SAMBA

notinh notien notinhnotien7 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 23:38:15 UTC 2006

Hi, I am a newbie with FDS and LDAP and I would like to ask for some
suggestions.

My LAN consists of Windows XP workstations and laptops, File server (capable
of UNIX NIS), Linux servers, Open Exchange server (LDAP).

Currently, each user use their assigned PCs.  There are computers in the lab
and some laptops in conference rooms and they have shared accounts to use
them.  There are no need for roaming profiles.   My users store their files
locally on their PCs and file server.

I would like to unify their accounts so that they only need at most 2
accounts + 2 passwords (1 for Open Exchange and 1 for their assigned PCs +
file server +  Linux Shell accounts), for the computers in the lab and
conference rooms only people with access will have access to special
accounts.

With my environment, I want Windows (PCs + laptops) to authenticate directly
to FDS and not through SAMBA with the help of pGina.  I can set up Linux
server to authenticate directly to FDS.  However, I am wondering about my
file server because this file server is commercial product and it is only
capable of doing UNIX NIS or Windows AD.  I do not want any Windows server
in my LAN, so ... Will I be able to integrate this file server to the FDS
server?

In my environment, SAMBA would only be used for print server and it could be
on the same box with FDS.  Do you see any problems here?  Should I also
connect SAMBA to FDS for printer access?

I do not care much about other fancy things of PDC, however, I am afraid
that I might not see all the benefits of having FDS + SAMBA = PDC setup.
Could someone tell me what you think of my environments?  Should I go with
or without PDC?

What is best suited for my environments?

Thank you for any suggestions.
NN.