[Fedora-directory-users] User is locked out- ERR 3 LDAP TIMELIMIT EXCEEDED

Dave Augustus davea at support.kcm.org
Thu Dec 14 23:12:31 UTC 2006

Sorry! (Let me get my head out of the sand)

I use a check script called ldap.monitor. It comes with mon, a
monitoring package written in perl.

The script just binds and checks that a certain attribute exists and is
a certain value. Here is an example:

monitor ldap.monitor \
     --username "uid=mscript,ou=Special Users,dc=hq,dc=org" \
     --password "12345678" \
     --basedn "uid=mscript,ou=Special Users,dc=hq,dc=org" \
     --filter "uid=*" \
     --attribute "uid" \
     --value "mscript" \
     192.168.16.10

I use this on BOTH of my servers. The other day I attempted to delete
alot of objects (>10,000) as the admin user from my ou=people leaf and
then my admin account was locked out with this SAME error.

Then my script started failing. I ended up having to login as Directory
Manager to complete the deletion.

So my script now fails and neither my admin account (admin) nor my
script account(mscript) can login successfully.

The log entries are the same:

"RESULT err=3 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0"

All that is happening is that the script is checking to see if an
attribute is the right value. The script cant login and therefore fails
the *check*.

I have restarted the server several times.

Thanks for your time,

Dave