[Fedora-directory-users] Can't connect to admin server as Directory Manager

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Sat Dec 23 10:18:42 UTC 2006

I just did a fresh install of FDS 1.0.4 on a Gentoo Linux workstation
(built manually, not from RPM).  After running the setup script to
install it, everything appears to be working, except I can't login to
the admin console.  I can connect to the server via the web browser on
my admin port (9419) and authenticate fine there.

However, when I start the console up, I do:

User ID: cn=Directory Manager
Password: <my password>
Administration URL: http://hostname.domain.com:9419/

The dialog that I get says:

"Cannot logon because of an incorrect User ID,
Incorrect password or Directory problem.

HttpException
Response: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required

I made sure that the admin server isn't configured to block any hosts
or IP addresses (set them both to '*' in the local.conf file).

Here's what the error log says:

[Sat Dec 23 05:09:46 2006] [notice] [client 192.168.2.1]
admserv_host_ip_check: ap_get_remote_host could not resolve
192.168.2.1
[Sat Dec 23 05:09:46 2006] [error] [client 192.168.2.1] user
cn=Directory Manager not found: /admin-serv/authenticate

How could the "cn=Directory Manager" user be not found?  Doesn't it
always exist?  Yes, I used the default name for this user when I ran
setup.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike