[Fedora-directory-users] Account lockout counters not replicating; how to unlock users?

Ulf Weltman ulf.weltman at hp.com
Wed Feb 8 03:06:44 UTC 2006

Richard Megginson wrote:

> Bliss, Aaron wrote:
>
>> Ulf, Thanks for getting back to me; yep, I understand that the consumer
>> can never replicate information to the supplier (I wasn't very clear
>> before, sorry about that); I set the passwordIsGlobalPolicy to on on
>> both servers, and things are looking better; the passwordRetryCount,
>> retryCountResetTime, accountUnlockTime attributes are now getting
>> replicated properly from supplier to consumer, and deleting
>> passwordRetryCount, retryCountResetTime attributes from the supplier
>> does unlock accounts, however I'm still having a bit of a problem; what
>> I've seen is that if a users account gets locked on the consumer because
>> of bad password attempts, if that same user then attempts to login to a
>> server that is configured to first attempt to bind to the supplier
>> server, the user is allowed to login; What I see happening is that the
>> passwordRetryCount, retryCountResetTime, accountUnlockTime attributes
>> are set on the consumer properly, however these attributes are never set
>> if the bad password attempts occur from a server that attempts to bind
>> to the consumer first.  Any ideas?  Thanks again.
>>

> Yes, this is a limitation of password policy.  What you really want is
> for the consumer to pass the BIND request back to a master and have
> all of the password policy attributes computed on the master to be
> replicated to all other servers.  Ulf, were you ever able to get Chain
> On Update to work in this configuration?
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:ChainOnUpdate

I think using the passthrough plugin to pass the bind back to a central
point was the only solution I came up with but it needs a patch, it
doesn't like getting controls back (Bugzilla #176302).

For ChainOnUpdate I didn't see a way to get it to work for this case.
The internal update that adds the PWP state didn't seem to get chained,
only updates coming from external clients.