[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Cos? or plug-in issue?

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 22:02:33 UTC 2006

Scott wrote:

>Pete Rowley <prowley <at> redhat.com> writes:
>

>>Scott wrote:
>>

>>>I must be missing something on how the Directory Server (fedora-ds)
>>>defines the attributes. I was under the impression I could just update
>>>the 00core.ldif entry and the new matching rule would then be applied.
>>>This has proven not to be the case, I think it might have to do with
>>>the server interacts with the plugins or the CoS which needs to be
>>>addressed.
>>>

>>What exactly failed and how?
>>

>When I apply the caseExactMatch definition to the attribute, I expected it to
>enforce the matching rule.  However it did not seem to have any effect.  I
>tested it both with the schema checking on and off.  I ended up using the
>default attributeType and I just changed the SYNTAX to
>1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26.
>This seems to enforce the case for the uid. I think I was under the mis-
>understanding that I could tweak the attribute type specifically to meet my
>sites needs. I have been reading up on the CoS and I think this is where I
>went wrong.  Is there an alternate method to provide granular control over
>attributeTypes, or is the FDS tied to the CoS model?  The entry I am talking
>about is listed below.   Thanks

Class of service has nothing to do with schema.  It is a mechanism for
sharing attribute / value pairs among a group of entries so that an
administrator has one place to change those attribute value pairs.  The
only place CoS gets involved with schema is when schema checking is on,
when it will ensure the attribute / value pairs it provides are allowed
to appear in the entry.

I am at a loss to explain why changing the syntax from DirectoryString
to IA5String would suddenly produce the results you were expecting.  Are
you restarting the server between changes to the schema files?

--
Pete