[Fedora-directory-users] Binding using attribute other than C N

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Jan 12 14:44:42 UTC 2006

Richard Gibson wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I've been using the Fedora Directory Server for very small scale
> testing at work, but actually know rather little about LDAP
> unfortunately. Hopefully you won't mind. Anyway, is it possible to
> bind with an entry other than CN? I have the following user (LDIF
> format):
>
> dn: uid=RSmith,ou=People, dc=fedora,dc=test,dc=com
> mail: blablabla at test.com
> uid: RSmith
> givenName: Richard
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetorgperson
> objectClass: ntuser
> objectClass: posixAccount
> sn: Smith
> cn: RSmith
> creatorsName:
> uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
> modifiersName:
> uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
> createTimestamp: 20050905103419Z
> modifyTimestamp: 20050916131603Z
> nsUniqueId: 86b5b081-1dd211b2-806ddcd6-e1700000
> ntUserDomainId: smithr
> uidNumber: 1
> gidNumber: 2
> homeDirectory: /home/smithr
>

> When attempting to bind using the following (as taken from the access
> log):
> BIND dn="ntUserDomainId=Richard Smith,ou=People,dc=fedora,dc=test,dc=com"
method=128 version=3

> ...I get "No such object". This user does exist though. Is binding
> using the ntUserDomainId out of the question?

Take a closer look.  The ntUserDomainId is "smithr" for this user, not
"Richard Smith".

Try this:
dn="ntUserDomainId=smithr,ou=People,dc=fedora,dc=test,dc=com"

Disclaimer: I'm an LDAP beginner myself.  This is just a suggestion
based on the fact that your bind doesn't match the user information you
provided.

--
Bowie