[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 13:49:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:20, Richard Megginson wrote:

> So are you saying that in a typical FHS deployment, the /var partition
> is by far the largest, and is on a separate partition than /?  If not,
> then it doesn't make any difference - /opt is just as "bad" as /var.

If you didn't plan out what you were going to deploy on the
machine in question there isn't much reason to expect extra
space to be sitting around in one place more than any other.
That is, if you do have /var on a separate partition, you
probably planned the size for what you already have there.
And it's probably easier to add /opt as a separate partition
than to move /var in a typical RH layout.

> We will most likely not go the route of having two separate packages,
> one /opt layout and one FHS layout.

Moving locations is always traumatic.  Personally I like
stand-alone packages that aren't going to be installed on
every machine you have to live under /opt, but if it is
ever going to move, do it soon to minimize the number of
people who will be affected by already having it installed
in the wrong place.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com