[Fedora-directory-users] Changing the hostname domain of the fedora server

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Fri Jul 7 07:22:35 UTC 2006

Philip Kime wrote:
> Suddenly, I have to change the DNS domain for two Fedora-DS servers. The
> IP and hostname remain the same. They have replication agreements with
> other servers. Are there any guidelines for doing this? I suspect it's a
> horrible thing to have to do ...?

I have done this and tested it in production environments. It's a pretty
hairy procedure as it is, and would be next to impossible if the files
were spread around in an FHS setup...

Briefly:

Do a recursive grep for the domain name from /opt/fedora-ds and you will
find about 25 files in several different subdirectories which need to be
modified. Do all modifications with the service shut down. Do the same
mods to all machines.

Start the services up on all machines and check if replication still
works (probably not). If not, then just remove and recreate the
replication agreements.

BTW, the procedure is the same for hostname or domain name change.

BR,
Mike

--
http://www.netauth.com - LDAP Directory Consulting