[Fedora-directory-users] I'm feeling like I'm drowning!

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 21 18:24:50 UTC 2006

Per Kristiansen wrote:
> I've been reading about LDAP for the last couple of years, and finally
> got to start planning an implementation.
>
> I've settled for a pretty simple config, where I would put user info
> (unix), samba and general user info on LDAP for starters (future plans
> is SSH public keys and host based access rules)
>
> But...I'm feeling like I'm drowning, I've read the o'reilly book, and
> I've googled my behind off.
>
> And so far I have found that LDAP is like PERL , there is no ONE way
> of doing it:)...
>
> I've read the white papers at redhat.com, and managed to get SMB
> authentication to work, but the one thing that keeps bugging me is this:
>
> Do I have to write my own data entry interface ?
>
> I had hoped to let the people at HR do the data entry on the "soft"
> information , while the operations people do the "hard" information.
What usually happens (in medium/large enterprises) is that HR people
enter data into their Oracle/Peoplesoft/SAP system, and this data gets
sync'd over to the LDAP server.  For example, check out this -
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/directory/tools - written using
perldap by our LDAP admin at Netscape many years ago.  There are
probably newer, better tools for doing this now.
> I hoped FDS would have something I could use, but I'm unable to figure
> out if it has a web interface or if it must be entry via the X-Windows
> program.
There are two web interfaces.  The Directory Express web app is used to
allow self service user data administration (including password change).