[Fedora-directory-users] Few Fedora Directory Server questions

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 13:32:28 UTC 2006

prashant n wrote:
> hi,
>
> Can Fedora Directory Server be used for :
>
> 1) to provide enterprise-wide identity for employees ?
Yes.

> 2) can this be integrated into Access Cards - Flash / Swipe
I'm not sure.  Are these smart cards with X.509 certificates?  If so,
then yes - Fedora DS supports client cert based auth.

> 3) can this be integrated into EPABX
Yes.

> 4) can we replace Windows Active Directory PDC which is authentifying
> my windows and *NIX workstations by Samba PDC using Fedora Directory
> Server.
No.  Fedora DS does not provide all of the PDC capabilities of AD
expected by Windows clients.

> 5) Can my Cisco PIX, Squid Proxy, IPSec / SSL-VPN or any other
> Application (Apache, Zimbra, Subversion, Jive-WildeFire IM , etc which
> can talk to Active Directory and OpenLDAP for authentification) be
> configured to get user autentification from Fedora Directory Server
If it can use openldap, it can use Fedora DS.

> 6) SSO ? Can I integrate Fedora Directory Server to my windows and
> *NIX workstation logons? will it result into, the email client MS
> Outlook 200x , Mozilla ThunderBird 1.x, Kontact 1.2.x, my browsers (IE
> 5.x & above, Mozilla Firefox 1.x) get authenticated automagically and
> will serve what they are intented to ie, send / receive emails, browse
> internet, etc without asking the user to key in his/her email id,
> email password etc
MS Active Directory has some additional functionality with respect to
Windows clients such as MS Outlook.  I've heard that it is possible to
get cross domain Kerberos working with sasl/kerberos on the *nix side
and AD on the Windows side.

But in general, if the client uses plain old LDAP or sasl/kerberos or
client certs for auth, then Fedora DS should work just fine.