[Fedora-directory-users] Getting Started, POSIX accounts

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 17:06:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 09:01 -0600, Oscar A. Valdez wrote:
> El mié, 29-03-2006 a las 17:12 -0800, Susan escribió:
> > You just have to decide whether you want to continue with the Linux standard where every user is a
> > member of his own group.  As the number of users grows, that becomes a PITA.
>
> I've struggled with this issue, researching the rationale behind it, but
> I'm not any wiser.
>
> Would anyone care to comment on the "every user has a group" issue?
----
I can't speak to Linux standard - I only am familiar with the Red Hat
packaging, which would by default...

useradd craig

add both a user and a group named craig

the man page for useradd on a Red Hat system has this caveat..." The
version provided with Red Hat Linux will create a group for each user
added to the system by default."

I suspect this is what Susan is referring to. Of course, you can always
pass a parameter to useradd...

useradd -g dom_users craig

which would not create a group named craig

Craig