[Fedora-directory-users] Re: [Fedora-directory-announce] Announcing Fedora Directory Server 1.0.2

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 16:05:05 UTC 2006

Mike Jackson wrote:

> Richard Megginson wrote:
>
> > Fedora Directory Server 1.0.2 is released!  This release contains new
> > features, new platform support, and many bug fixes.
> >
> > * Extended Password Syntax checking - passwords can be checked to
> see if
> > they conform to the following:
>

> Very nice. Can the failed tests be reported over-the-wire via controls
> or extended operations?

Through the same mechanisms that are used now for passwords that fail
syntax checking during add or modify operations.

> How do you remotely use this feature in practice?
>

> > * Support for Linux x86_64 - RPMs for Fedora Core 4 and Fedora
> Core3/RHEL4 x86_64 are
> > on the Download page.
>

> And how about Solaris sparc? Will it ever be supported again?

Yes, but we have some issues, primarily with Apache and Perl.
Unfortunately, we cannot use the Apache provided with some versions of
Solaris, nor the version from sunfreeware.com, because they do not have
support for multi threaded mode.

In addition, there are no pre-built native 64 bit Apache and Perl
binaries that we can use.  We require native 64 bit because all of our
components are native 64 bit, and we'd rather not get into the business
of having to ship the full contingent of 32 bit components with our 64
bit distribution - harder to build, harder to manage, package size
bloat, etc. etc.

The result is that we will have to build and distribute our own versions
of Apache and Perl for Solaris for 32 bit and 64 bit.  We are doing this
work for Red Hat Directory Server and Certificate System because we have
to support our existing Solaris customers, so once that's done, we
should be able to leverage that work for Fedora Directory Server.