[Fedora-directory-users] Password Policy Request/Response Control does not work

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Sat Mar 4 15:04:49 UTC 2006

Hi,
  Tested with 7.1.2 and 1.0.2, same result.

  The Password Policy Request/Response Control does not work. I have
written code to test it, as well as tested it with an OpenLDAP 2.3
client tool which supports sending the control request and decoding the
control response.

  The control request is sent to the server, but it is not returned to
the client.

  I enabled the password syntax checking and then tried to change the
password to one which would obviously fail.

Example test:

ldappasswd \
	-a foobar \
	-s foo \
	-h directory.netauth.com \
	-D "uid=jacksonm,ou=users,dc=netauth,dc=com" \
	-x \
	-Z \
	-w foobar \
	-e ppolicy

Result: Constraint violation (19)
Additional info: Failed to update password

  This is only the error from the modify password operation, but nothing
from the password policy response. I expected a response equivalent to
the corresponsong ASN schema: "passwordTooShort".

  Is this a bug, or are there some secret switches to toggle to get the
password policy controls working?

BR,
--
Mike