[Fedora-directory-users] SSL problem on replication!

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 17:07:46 UTC 2006

Alex wrote:

>> well, no. The reason why you don't see ssl server cert on
>> nodo2 is because you never created it!
>>

> At this point i want to be sure that I understand correctly...I did 5
> minutes ago exactly what you say in your previous post...now i have in
> window of nodo1 Server-Cert and Ca certificate...so in "Encryption tab" I
> checked "enable ssl for this server" and in certificate I used
> Server-Cert....at this point, to enable ssl on nodo2 what exactly have I to
> do?
>
> -Export Server-Cert on nodo2
> -Run the script in nodo2
>
> ...I 'm apologize but this is the first time that I use both Fedora DS and
> configuring SSL..and IMHO documentation is not very clear about this point!

I'm not sure, but I think what you need to do is to create another
key/cert pair to have another Server Cert for your nodo2 directory
server.  And you are correct, this is not explicit in the documentation.

Note: You should perform these steps using your original key/cert
database because you are going to use your original CA key/cert to
create a new server key/cert for nodo2.
Step 1: This is the same as step 7 in the SSL HowTo -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL#Basic_Steps (with the
caveat to use the FQDN in the cn of the server cert subject DN - in this
case, use the FQDN of nodo2)  You must use a different name (e.g.
Server-Cert-nodo2 or something like that) when creating the cert
Step 2: The DS on nodo2 needs both the key and cert that you have
created, so you will need to export that information as a p12 file e.g.

./shared/bin/pk12util -d . -P slapd-serverID- -o servercertnodo2.pfx -n Server-Cert-nodo2

Step 3: You need to import this servercertnodo2.pfx file into the
key/cert db on nodo2.  After copying the file to the
/opt/fedora-ds/alias directory on that machine:

../shared/bin/pk12util -d . -P slapd-nodo2- -i servercertnodo2.pfx -n Server-Cert

You must specify the name as Server-Cert here in order to use the
default SSL configuration.

Step 4: Import your CA cert into slapd-nodo2 - you may need to copy
cacert.asc to nodo2.  Then

../shared/bin/certutil -A -d . -P slapd-nodo2- -n "CA certificate" -t "CT,," -a -i cacert.asc