[Fedora-directory-users] FDS AD Sync

Daniel Shackelford dshackel at arbor.edu
Wed Mar 29 19:46:12 UTC 2006

I had some trouble myself with passwords from AD making it into FDS.
Unfortunately no passwords are synced until they are changed on AD,
which means that if you have a 7000 user base like we do, there are very
few options for getting the passwords populated in FDS.  PassSync uses a
DLL to capture passwords in plain text during the set password process,
and send them to FDS.  This means that all those users that are synced
magically when you set up replication, will not have passwords until
they change their password on AD somehow.  We started collecting
credentials from our proxy auth, and storing them for a massive import
after a few months.  The import went well (I can tell you the process if
you like), but we still have 5000 accounts without passwords in FDS for
off-site users, and those who should be pruned.  Now we are looking at a
web interface for handling these special cases (is it special when it
effects the majority of your users?).

The PassSync that was distributed with FDS 7.1 did not give much info on
what it was doing, and this led to an incorrect setup without knowing it
was incorrect.  If you use the most recent version, you can enable
verbose logging, and see what is going on (it is a registry key under
HKEY_Local_Machine->Software->PasswordSync->Log Level).  It turned out
that PassSync and FDS were not speaking to one another yet.  I went
through the key import process (pk12util + certutil), restarted the
service, and away we went.

If you think you might be able to get the unix crypted passwords via
msSFU (Microsoft Services for Unix), and populate FDS, you would be
right, unless you are also wanting to synchronize those passwords.  I
tried it and blew out the password for every user on our domain, and had
to recover from tape.  The crypt is one-way, so once it is in FDS, you
can successfully authenticate, but it looks like junk to the password
sync code, and it ends up syncing junk to AD, which in turn, syncs junk
back to FDS. Bad bad bad.

So it sounds like you may not have the PassSync service set up quite
right, or you are expecting the passwords to be synced with the
accounts, but they won't because that is not really what PassSync does.
Either way you will have to address the issues of missing passwords in
FDS.  Do you have any secure way of collecting the credentials of
users?  A proxy/sniffer in front of your POP3 server?  Just a suggestion.

--
Daniel Shackelford
Systems Administrator

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many"
Mark 10:45