[Fedora-directory-users] Getting Started, POSIX accounts

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 17:48:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 11:06, Craig White wrote:
> > > You just have to decide whether you want to continue with the Linux standard where every user is a
> > > member of his own group.  As the number of users grows, that becomes a PITA.
> >
> > I've struggled with this issue, researching the rationale behind it, but
> > I'm not any wiser.
> >
> > Would anyone care to comment on the "every user has a group" issue?
> ----
> I can't speak to Linux standard - I only am familiar with the Red Hat
> packaging, which would by default...
>
> useradd craig
>
> add both a user and a group named craig
>
> the man page for useradd on a Red Hat system has this caveat..." The
> version provided with Red Hat Linux will create a group for each user
> added to the system by default."

Yes, I think this is redhat-specific.  The reasoning is that the
home directories can be made group rw and a default umask of
0002 used without initially introducing any new permission
problems since no one else but the user is in the group. This
simplifies the changes needed when you do want group access
since the permissions are already there and the groups are
unique. All you have to do is add the other user(s) to your
group.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com