[Fedora-directory-users] CPanel + FedoraDS

Paul Singh vsingh at gmu.edu
Fri May 26 20:06:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've got 10 CPanel servers that I administrate now and I'm bringing
on some additional support staff to begin helping with that. The
problem here is that I don't want to go into every machine and create
an individual account on each box for the admins.

I started working with FedoraDS and was able to successfully get the
machines to pull data from the LDAP server. The problem is, it seems
to check every hosting account username too and this slows the
machines down quite a bit since it's looking for accounts that are
not in LDAP at all.

When looking in /etc/nssswitch.conf, I thought that the system would
read left to write so I have:

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

Shouldn't that read left to right? If an account is found in the
local files, the system should not be going to ldap to confirm. Does
anyone know how to make this work the way I would like it to?

Thanks in advance.

--Paul