[Fedora-directory-users] Re: password policy on FDS 1.0.2 - doesn't seem to work?

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Sun Nov 19 06:39:55 UTC 2006

> Now, am I right in thinking that I can use "clear" as long as I'm using
> SSL to the LDAP server?

Yes, sending un-hashed passwords over SSL is very safe.

> What about setting local non-LDAP passwords with this set to "clear"
> isn't that dangerous?

No worries about this, pam_ldap password settings don't affect passwords
stored locally in /etc/passwd.  Your /etc/pam.d/system-auth password stack
for Linux LDAP clients probably looks something like the below:

password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

When setting local passwords, the stack will never even invoke pam_ldap,
since the pam_unix line is "sufficient".