[Fedora-directory-users] Replication errors: "Incremental Update Failed"

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 21:48:06 UTC 2006

Chris St. Pierre wrote:
> I have four machines in an MMR setup.  One recently died (got
> accidentally unplugged; d'oh!).  When I started it back up, it
> recovered the database and then dumped errors like the following in
> the errors log:
>
> [04/Oct/2006:13:59:03 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin -
> agmt="cn="Replication to zeppo.nebrwesleyan.edu"" (zeppo:389): Missing
> data encountered
> [04/Oct/2006:13:59:04 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin -
> agmt="cn="Replication to zeppo.nebrwesleyan.edu"" (zeppo:389):
> Incremental update failed and requires administrator action
>
> The only info I found on this via Google was for Sun DS, and it just
> recommended updating to the latest hotfix.  Obviously not terribly
> helpful.

There is a very small window of time between when the update is written
to the main database and when it is written to the changelog database.
If you kill the power during this window, the changelog db will be out
of sync with the main database.  The only solution is to reinit the
server which has this problem.