[Fedora-directory-users] Trouble getting windows to talk to fds

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Oct 31 21:44:01 UTC 2006

Bliss, Aaron wrote:
> I'm a little confused here; what is the purpose of the passsync service
> (I've successfully created a replication agreement over ssl via fds and
> ad).  Thanks again.

The PassSync service is only responsible for sending password changes
initiated on the AD side to FDS.  Any password that is changed on the
FDS side will be sent to AD over the synchronization agreement along
with other user & group changes.  The synchronization agreement will
also pull changes that happened on the AD side over to FDS.

The problem is that AD hashes the password differently than FDS does, so
FDS needs access to the clear-text password.  The only way for this to
happen when a password change is initiated on the AD side is to have a
password plug-in installed on the domain controller to get a copy of the
clear-text password.  This is exactly what the PassSync service does.
It installs a plugin (passhook.dll) that receives the clear-text
password which passsync.exe sends across to FDS over LDAPS.

Hopefully that clears things up.

-NGK