[Fedora-directory-users] run as root? newb question

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Sat Sep 16 20:39:54 UTC 2006

Scott Roberts wrote:
> Thanks Pete.
>
> so the steps...
> create user and group
> install directory as root
> set server user and group to user and group created

setup will do this for you.
> Does "installing" the directory as root affect how the
> DS starts (or anything else for that matter)?
No.  In fact, you have to install the RPM as root.
> And if I
> set the server user and group to something I create,
> will the DS start as them?
The DS will start as root, and start the server listening to ports
389/636, then the server will "drop privileges" to run as the non-root
user (nobody:nobody by default).
> Trying to ascertain if I
> need to config the DS startup in the OS to switch
> users. Probably a common thing in rc.local or whatever
> and I'm an idiot :)

No, the server just does it automatically.  As long as you specify the
user to use during setup.