[Fedora-directory-users] FDS SSL performance tuning query

Jonathan Barber jon at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 07:34:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 09:26:08AM +0200, Andrey Ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
>

> JB> Hello all, currently we have a FDS instance running on RHEL4 with a
> JB> small number of entries (6,000), we also have a linux compute cluster of
> JB> 100 nodes which uses LDAP for user account data (via libnss_ldap).
>
> JB> nss_ldap on the cluster is configured to use SSL, and everything is fine
> JB> most of the time. However, occasionally, when a large job is started on
> JB> the cluster, the number of connections increases from 100/minute to
> JB> 1600/minute (26/sec).
>
> JB> This causes the server to become generally unresponsive, and FDS
> JB> especially so (as judged by the time required to retrieve the DSE via
> JB> TLS). Which is a right pain as it causes our samba PDC to timeout and
> JB> everything goes wrong very quickly.
>
> JB> I can reproducably, impact on FDS performance by running:
> JB> $ getent passwd | cut -d: -f 1 | while read i; do id $i; done
> To reduce substantially the number of LDAP (or NIS) requests we use
> the nscd (Name Service Caching Daemon). The result is that the number
> of LDAP requests is decreased easily by one order of magnitude... Give
> it a try and tune the /etc/nscd.conf :)

I have considered nscd, but I've had bad experiances with it in the
past when we ran NIS - usually due to entries being changed and the new
entry then not being seen on the clients at the same time. We could
avoid that problem by setting the nscd time out low enough but it's
another piece of client config that I'd rather avoid.

--
Jonathan Barber
High Performance Computing Analyst