[Fedora-directory-users] Windows and Linux clients???

Randall Svancara rsvancara at wsu.edu
Thu Aug 9 16:05:48 UTC 2007

I am not sure you are going to be able to implement cross platform
roaming profiles, meaning you will not be able to share the same profile
with windows and unix machines.  For example, all of mozilla's settings
are stored in a .mozilla or .firefox directory in your unix profile.  In
windows, this information is stored in a different place.  Unless you
are willing to make modifications to a lot of applications, this will
not be feasible.

However, you should be able to share profiles between unix machines
using NFS and autofs.  You can store mounts either in a file or in LDAP
for centralized management.

You can use samba, with a LDAP backend for windows authentication.
However, one thing to note, when you configure Samba to use LDAP, it
does not use the userPassword field in the InetOrg/Posix Acount schemas.
Samba uses a Schema that provides two password fields that you must keep
synchronized.  However, this is fairly easy to do, since you can
configure samba to do this with smbpasswd, or you can write your own
script using perl and Net::Ldap package.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts.  I am always
looking for ways to integrate unix and windows.  However, Microsoft does
a really good job at making sure it is not too easy to do.

Randall