[Fedora-directory-users] multi-master limit

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 15:12:19 UTC 2007

Jason Beavers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to FedoraDS.  I'm doing some research for an upcoming application
> that will require LDAP.
> This App will consist of multiple servers (10 or more) in different
> geographical locations.
> Each server will authenticate against itself and serve its own local
> data.
> The full LDAP directory needs to be replicated across all servers so
> that users can login to any server.
>
> I've read that there is a limit of 4 writable servers in multi-master
> replication.  Is this a hard limit or a soft (reccomendation) limit?
That means 4 is the highest number of masters we've tested
exhaustively.  The protocol supports up to 2^32-2 masters, but you will
usually hit a practical limit in the number of replication agreements.
Each repl. agreement runs a separate thread, so you will usually be
constrained by resources - available RAM, processors, etc.
> The application will need to write changes directly to itself on all
> servers
The application will write the changes directly to each of the 10 masters?
> so that they are immediately available locally, then replicated to
> other servers.
>
> Is this possible with FedoraDS?
Yes, it is possible.