Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Fractional Replication Updates

Mike C wrote:
Hi,

Could someone clarify what exactly fractional replication updates are?

If I e.g. change a userPassword entry for a user in my ldap directory,
which is the master in a master-slave replication scenario, what gets
sent to the slave? The entry for that user, or just the changed
attribute, or even the entire directory? From my readings, I think
that a) With Fractional Replication, only the entry gets transmitted.
b) With Normal Replication, the whole entire directory gets
transmitted. Is this correct?
No. With any replication, only the one modification to that one attribute is transmitted. It's essentially just an LDAP MOD operation with some extra information for replication.
Is someone able to update the docs on this subject? The only section I
can find related to Fractional Updates is here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features and it is a 1 liner.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/deploy/7.1/rep.html#1076528
Thanks,

Mike