[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Announce: Net-LDAPapi version 2.00 released

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Fri Feb 9 10:18:32 UTC 2007

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> A new release of Net::LDAPapi module is now available for Perl via CPAN.
> This release includes compilation against OpenLDAP libraries from
> version 2.1 forward.  It now supports LDAPv3, including SASL binds.

Great, glad to see this finally making it back out to the world.

> Support for the Netscape (now Mozilla) C SDK has been kept, but not
> tested. I welcome feedback on the usability with the Mozilla C SDK.
>
> Many thanks to Howard Chu and Symas Corporation for the work done to
> realize LDAPv3 support with Net::LDAPapi.
>
> Net::LDAPapi can be obtained from:
>
> <http://search.cpan.org/~mishikal/Net-LDAPapi-2.00/>
>

> For those who have never used Net::LDAPapi, it uses the C interface for
> its LDAP operations.  This means that it is much faster than the pure
> perl Net::LDAP module from the perl-ldap package.  However, it also
> relies on having the C libraries it was linked against available.

We've observed a 100:1 speed difference between Net::LDAPapi and Net::LDAP.
Usually people writing perl scripts don't seem to take performance or
efficiency into account, because they're just coding up a "quickie tool." But
it then evolves into something else, and eventually gets deployed into
production. We've seen this happen over and over with perl-based web login
scripts, where gradually the web server gets bogged down under its
authentication load. Switching from Net::LDAP to Net::LDAPapi has helped a
number of our customers get their systems back up on their feet.

--
   -- Howard Chu