[Fedora-directory-users] How to make application connect to multi-master set-up?

Eddie C edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:05:00 UTC 2007

That is a viable option as well. I am always partial to using network wide
solutions rather then client specific ones. We have had this problem before.
Some applications are capable us talking the active backup protocal some
applications are not. You get lulled into a false sence of security and you
think the application is completely load balanced. Then you realized some
other little app someone wrote somewhere is not configured the same way when
one server goes out.

Using multiple A records is an option as well. However the failover involves
making DNS changes. Based on your DNS settings that might take 20 minutes to
propagate. Plus the time to actually get a DNS change through.

Load balancers and other HA solutions have a faster, sometimes almost
instantanious recovery time. You manage them as a unit. There is no settings
confusion. Point everythign at ldap_vip.domain.com and go. They offer niec
options like 8 choices of algorithms Round robin, Weighted round robin,
least connection. etc.

Edward