[Fedora-directory-users] FDS dies on SSL - How do I rescue installation?

Ian Holroyd ian at hcs-management.com
Tue Jan 2 15:09:06 UTC 2007

I have been setting up Fedora Directory Server for use with Samba PDC
etc. I had most aspects of this working, with SSL transport operating
correctly, having followed the HowTo.

However, I have now restarted whole system and the start-slapd will not
work, generating the following errors: (retyped as email sent from
another system, excuse any typos)
[timestamp] - SSL alert: Security Initialization: Can't find certificate
(Server-Cert) for family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape
Portable Runtime error -8174 - security library: bad database.)
[timestamp] - SSL alert: Security Initialization: Unable to retrieve
private key for ert Server-Cert of family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config
(Netscape Portable Runtime error -8174 - security library: bad
database.)
[timestamp] - SSL failure: None of the cipher are valid

Now, if (big if) I am reading this correctly, this means that it has
failed to find the certificate named Server-Cert. I believe that this
may be as a result of me having 'used my initiative' and changed all
references to 'Server-Cert' in the HowTo to a personalised version of
this (i.e. I created the certs with my own names).

Start-admin fails without leaving any message (I assume because it can't
read config information from the LDAP server).

The problem, however, is that ALL documentation I have found on how to
solve problems like this (or indeed delete and start over) refers to
either using the console (which I cannot start without my slapd-instance
running) or utilities like certutil which appear to fail for the same
reason.

If I understand this correctly, I am in a catch22 - I cannot start the
LDAP server until I change the config, but I cannot change the config
without the LDAP directory being available. So, is there ANY way to
start FDS without SSL support (which I don't need right now anyway!) so
that I can put-right the damage I have done by following the HowTo
properly this time??? If not, is there any way to reinstall /
reconfigure without scrapping my data (which took some time to build).

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ian Holroyd