[Fedora-directory-users] Virtual Views entries only as leaves?

Ewen Cumming ewen.cumming at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:33:15 UTC 2007

Hi all,
We've recently been migrating our data from an OpenLDAP server to FDS.
The data import went smoothly, very impressed.

However, I am currently experimenting with using a virtual view to
allow a flat directory structure to be displayed as a hierachical
view. Through experimentation I've only found it possible to add
virtual entries as leaves. Is it possible to have virtual entries in
an organizational unit that contains another organizational unit with
other virtual entries.

I'm sure that makes no sense so I've attempted to draw the tree
stucture I'm trying to achieve. ou=view contains the virtual view and
ou=entries contains the actual entries.

dc=root
- ou=view
- - ou=group
- - - ou=subgroup
- - - - o=org1
- - - - o=org2
- - - o=org3
- ou=entries
- - o=org1
- - o=org2
- - o=org3

In the virtual view ou=group contains both ou=subgroup (with it's own
virtual entries org1&2) and a virtual entry (org3) of its own. At the
moment I only seem able to get the deepest OU to display virtual
entries (ou=subgroup in this example).

Does anyone know if what I am trying is possible or are virtual
entries only able to be added at the deepest container?