[Fedora-directory-users] Replication fails due to lack of permissions

Brian Fender FenderB at gsicommerce.com
Thu Jun 7 18:35:03 UTC 2007

I started with two Redhat EL3U5 servers, setting up the newest available
directory server (fedora-ds rpm) on each server with an identical
configuration.  I set up Single Master replication according to this
guide:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/replicat.html#11088
49.  That is, I created a 'cn=replication manager,cn=config' by pasting
the example entry from the guide in the config/dse.ldif on the slave
(consumer) server.  I verified this account works by using LDAP
Browser/Editor, I can log in and view my LDAP directory 'dc=foo,dc=net'.
I cannot, however, add or delete any foo.net entries when logged in as
the replication manager.  When I configured a replication agreement on
the master/supplier and restarted both servers, it errors out with:

NSMMReplicationPlugin - agmt="cn=myagreement" (192:1389): Unable to
acquire replica: permission denied. The bind dn "cn=replication
manager,cn=config" does not have permission to supply replication
updates to the replica. Will retry later.

I had specified the ip address of the slave/consumer server when setting
up the replication agreement, but because it refers to it as '192:1389'
in the logs I thought maybe it was looking for a hostname.  Getting past
the fact that it will not allow underscores in the consumer name (I
assume this is a bug), I added an /etc/hosts entry for the consumer on
the master and recreated the replication agreement and restarted both
servers.  I still have the same problem:

NSMMReplicationPlugin - agmt="cn=myagreement" (testappserver2:1389):
Unable to acquire replica: permission denied. The bind dn
"cn=replication manager,cn=config" does not have permission to supply
replication updates to the replica. Will retry later.

On the slave/consumer, I get:

NSMMReplicationPlugin - conn=9 op=3 replica="dc=foo,dc=net": Unable to
acquire replica: error: permission denied

Any idea why this is happening?  Shouldn't the replication manager have
read/write permissions to the userRoot by default since it inherits all
the administrator roles?