[Fedora-directory-users] Trying to set up a simple authentication and file server

Kyle Tucker kylet at panix.com
Wed Mar 28 14:22:12 UTC 2007

> (1) Is fedora-ds the right tool for the job? Perhaps it is using a
> sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I've set it up for a company with as little as 4 people. The payoff
is being able to use centralized auth for ssh, Apache, Samba, Bugzilla
and more.

> (2) I've more or less got the authentication bit working but the
> console seems counter intuitive. The opening screen has a tab "Users
> and Group" which allows you to search and add users but this, as far as
> I can see, as nothing to do with the users that the server will
> authenticate. They need to be added way down the tree,
> by opening the Directory Server,
> choosing the suffix and rightclicking the "People" and adding new.
> Is this the correct method of adding users?
> (I don't want to import them from the passwd file - there are so few of
> them I want to do things by hand).

I have put a INSTALL summary file and a bunch a scripts I use to
maintain Unix accounts with FDS online. It may be of help to you.

http://www.panix.com/~kylet/ldap

> (3) How do I add the automap? Various websites talk about
> "automountInformation:" entry, but where does that come in? It does not
> appear as an attribute I can add to a person.

automaps are separate entries in the directory. I've not used them yet,
but enough shops are using them that it must be easily implemented.

I know we use it one place I work under SunONE DS (essentially the
same as FDS) and it looks pretty straight forward. Feel free to email
me offline if you'd like some help of snippets of the schema and/or
LDIF samples.

--
- Kyle