[Fedora-directory-users] db_verify

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 17:57:10 UTC 2007

Ville Silventoinen wrote:
> Hi Noriko, thanks for you reply.
>
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Noriko Hosoi wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is there a way to find out which entries are causing the problem?
>>> Can there be illegal characters in the entries?
>>
>> Could it be possible to share your data with us? (sample data would
>> be good.)
>
> I asked my manager but he doesn't think it's a good idea for security
> reasons. The problem is that the data is our NIS mail.aliases and
> passwd, and we don't want to distribute them to the internet. He
> suggested I'll modify the data, so I can send a sample to you. I'll do
> that next week.
That would be great. Thanks! I'm interested in what type of characters
your data contain. E.g., character set is UTF-8? Some of your DNs could
contain any special characters such as '\'? etc...
> What would you be looking for in the data? Perhaps I could do it here?
>
> Today I have been trying to narrow down which entries in our
> mail.aliases cause the problem. We have about 8400 aliases (includes
> majordomo and mailman aliases) and if I sort them alphabetically and
> import only entries 250-500, I get following errors from verify-db.pl:
>
> Verify log files in db ... Good
> Verify db/ebiRoot/ancestorid.db4 ...
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 2: out-of-order key at entry 254
> DB ERROR: db_verify: DB->verify: db/ebiRoot/ancestorid.db4:
> DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
> Secondary index file ancestorid.db4 in db/ebiRoot is corrupted.
> Please run db2index(.pl) for reindexing.
> Verify db/ebiRoot/objectclass.db4 ...
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 2: out-of-order key at entry 255
> DB ERROR: db_verify: DB->verify: db/ebiRoot/objectclass.db4:
> DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
> Secondary index file objectclass.db4 in db/ebiRoot is corrupted.
> Please run db2index(.pl) for reindexing.
> Verify db/ebiRoot/nsuniqueid.db4 ... Good
> Verify db/ebiRoot/parentid.db4 ...
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 1: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: DB->verify: db/ebiRoot/parentid.db4:
> DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
> Secondary index file parentid.db4 in db/ebiRoot is corrupted.
> Please run db2index(.pl) for reindexing.
> Verify db/ebiRoot/cn.db4 ...
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 2: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 6: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 8: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 11: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 3: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 12: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 4: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 10: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 5: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: Page 7: unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database
> DB ERROR: db_verify: DB->verify: db/ebiRoot/cn.db4: DB_VERIFY_BAD:
> Database verification failed
> Secondary index file cn.db4 in db/ebiRoot is corrupted.
> Please run db2index(.pl) for reindexing.
>

> So there's a new error "unsorted duplicate set in sorted-dup
> database". What does it mean?
It does not say much... Our secondary indexes are sorted-dup database.
OIDs in the entries sharing the same key are supposed to be sorted in
each key-value. It looks the internal sorting is broken.

I have a couple of questions...

So, in your ldif data, the mail attribute also has this type of value:
"|/homes/majordom/wrapper stripmime.pl|/homes/majordom/wrapper resend -l
foobar-dev foobar-dev-outgoing"? And your mail index has the default
indexing type: presence, equality, and substring?

What type of indexing does the rfc822MailMember attribute have?

Have we already heard what platform you are running the FDS on?
Thanks,
--noriko