[Fedora-directory-users] NSUniqueID

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue May 15 14:03:32 UTC 2007

Bjorn Oglefjorn wrote:
> That's the problem Richard, I'm not sure how it happens.  I can tell
> you this much though.  I am using NSUniqueID as a globally unique id
> for a one-way sync agreement to a specific application (from FDS to
> the application).  The requirement for the globally unique id is that
> it never changes.  If it somehow does change, the sync process
> provides an error stating that the globally unique ids in FDS and the
> application no longer match.  I can't determine exactly what is
> causing this change, but I do know that it is happening.
But how does the sync process/application determine that the unique ID
has changed?  And is it possible that some application is writing to the
nsUniqueID attribute and changing its value externally?  Are you using
replication?

For example, does your sync app do something like this:
get entry by name e.g. (uid=somename).  Store the nsUniqueID for the entry.
Then later, do the same search (uid=somename) and get the nsUniqueID.
Compare the nsUniqueID to the one stored previously.

If this is the case, is it possible that the uid for the entry has changed?