[Fedora-directory-users] NSUniqueID

Bjorn Oglefjorn sys.mailing at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:43:31 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Bjorn Oglefjorn wrote:
> > On 5/15/07, *Richard Megginson* <rmeggins at redhat.com
> > <mailto:rmeggins at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Bjorn Oglefjorn wrote:
> >     > That's the problem Richard, I'm not sure how it happens.  I can
> tell
> >     > you this much though.  I am using NSUniqueID as a globally unique
> id
> >     > for a one-way sync agreement to a specific application (from FDS
> >     > the application).  The requirement for the globally unique id is
> >     that
> >     > it never changes.  If it somehow does change, the sync process
> >     > provides an error stating that the globally unique ids in FDS
> >     and the
> >     > application no longer match.  I can't determine exactly what is
> >     > causing this change, but I do know that it is happening.
> >     But how does the sync process/application determine that the unique
> ID
> >     has changed?  And is it possible that some application is writing
> >     to the
> >     nsUniqueID attribute and changing its value externally?  Are you
> using
> >     replication?
> >

> > There is no application that has write access to our LDAP user tree.
> > I am using a dual multi-master replication setup.  What about
> > replication would cause the NSUniqueID to change?
> If you delete an entry then add it back with the same DN and mail value,
> it will generate a new nsUniqueID for the new entry.  Also, certain
> replication operations may generate replication conflict entries.  In
> this case, you could see two entries with the same mail attribute but
> different nsUniqueID values and different DNs.

The entry was not deleted, only the mail attribute was modified.  The RDN
contains the uid of the entry.

To check for this, do a search for each of the "duplicate" nsUniqueID
> values using a search filter like this:
> (|(nsuniqueid=value1)(objectclass=nsTombstone))
> and
> (|(nsuniqueid=value2)(objectclass=nsTombstone))

The first filter returns nothing (implying that there are no entries in the
directory with objectclass=nsTombstone).  The second filter returns the
entry in question.  That seems to be what one would normally expect if there
hadn't been a change in the nsuniqueid, correct?