[Fedora-directory-users] Questions regarding the Alias Attribute for OU's and ldapsearch

Anderson, Cary Cary_Anderson at CalPERS.ca.gov
Fri May 25 16:35:22 UTC 2007

I am trying to get a handle on using the alias attribute for OU's to set
up something like this:

  ou=posixacct, ou=account, dc=calpers, dc=ca, dc=gov
And have the following ou be an alias to the one I have above
  ou=people, dc=calpers, dc=ca, dc=gov

I thought that if I included ou=posixacct, ou=account, dc=calpers,
dc=ca, dc=gov in the alias attribute of the ou=people this would be
correct.

However I don't seem to be able to find any users when I do an
ldapsearch of the ou people.  Am I not setting up my ldapsearch
correctly? ldapsearch -x "(&(ou=people)(uid=*))"

I actually think I may not be using the correct syntax for ldapsearch
because a search using ldapsearch -x "(&(ou=posixacct)(uid=*)" also does
not return any of my uid's, the most basic ldapsearch does work,
ldapsearch -x uid=*, but that is searching the entire tree...

I could use some assistance in if I setup the alias correctly and what
may be wrong with how I am using ldapsearch.

Thanks