[Fedora-directory-users] ldapmodify and Fedora DS migration

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 15:21:04 UTC 2007

Scott Lacy wrote:
> All,
>
> I am migrating an LDAP server off of Netscape I-Planet to Fedora
> Directory Server 1.0.4.  I am having some issues with ldapmodify in
> that the command that worked in I-Planet 5.0 to do adds, modifiess,
> and deletes from the same run doesn't seem to work in Fedora DS.
>
> With I-Planet:
>
> ldapmodify -a -c -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w xxxxx -f updates.ldif
>
> would take updates.ldif and do the adds, modifies, and deletions that
> were in the ldif all in one run.
>

> However, to do the same thing in Fedora DS, I find that I am having to
> do:
>
> ldapmodify -c -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w xxxxx -f updates.ldif
>
> and then
>
> ldapmodify -a -c -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w xxxxx -f updates.ldif
>

> So I guess I wondering if there is a way to get one iteration of
> ldapmodify to handle changes, adds, and deletes as the I-Planet
> version did.
I'm not sure.  In the former case, you're probably using either the
Solaris supplied ldapmodify or the mozldap 5.x ldapmodify.  In the
latter case, you're using OpenLDAP ldapmodify (because of the -x
argument, I'm assuming).  It's possible that the different ldapmodify
clients have different behaviors.  You might try
/opt/fedora-ds/shared/bin/ldapmodify which is the mozldap 6.x one.