[Fedora-directory-users] Re: backup/dump--restore/import

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Wed Oct 24 19:09:31 UTC 2007

db2bak (binary backup) is pretty specific to the machine on which it was
created.
At least a few dependencies:
- architecture of the machine (e.g., sparc to intel, or 32 to 64 bit).
- hostname is sprinkled throughout o=NetscapeRoot.
- index and other configuration in the server's cn=config.

Unless you're restoring on an identical machine with identical directory
server configuration, I would expect quirks when attempting what you've
described.
On the bright side, since it does work on the new server, it sounds like
you've isolated the problem to something with the original server.
What happens when you create a fresh new directory server instance on
the original, and try to backup and restore that instance?