[Fedora-directory-users] Setting a self ssl certificate

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 01:05:17 UTC 2007

Steven Jones wrote:

>> Since it appears the LDAP server was stuffed,
>>
> How so?
>
> Wont start, cannot access.

No errors?  Just nothing?

>> I re-installed it and
>> again followed the instructions, now I find that in attempting to
>> re-start the server it will not....
>>
> Any errors?
>
> I never looked for logs, simply re-installed FDS, I'm getting good at
> it.

It should almost never be necessary to reinstall from scratch.  However,
that may be the most expeditious route for you.

>> so I have had to re-install again.
>>
>> So this particular set of instructions,
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/ssl.html#1085091
>>
>> breaks the setup....
>>

> How so?
>

> Following the RH page seemed to trash the setup so a start/restart
> failed.
If the server fails to start, it will almost always print something to
the errors log file, and that will usually give a pretty good clue about
why the server failed to start.  Posting those log messages to this
forum can be very helpful to diagnose problems.  If the log excerpts are
too long, paste them to pastebin.com and paste the link here.