[Fedora-directory-users] Debian client to FDS howto

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Fri Sep 14 03:12:13 UTC 2007

> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:45:01 +1200
> From: "Steven Jones" <Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz>

> I have written the below, if it is helpful/correct by all means place it
> on FDS wiki.
>

> Debian client setup
>
> Important notes
>
> There would seem to be at least 2 places (if not three) containing
> information for ldap. In order to make Debian 4 work I have deleted 2
> and sym linked. It is possible on patching Debian that these files maybe
> restored and LDAP authentication will no longer work.

Never symlink the pam/nss_ldap config files with the OpenLDAP libldap config
file. There's a reason all of these things are in separate config files - they
each have distinct syntaxes. You don't know what you're doing, and you have no
guarantees that any particular version of a given library won't barf all over
the keywords it doesn't recognize.

--
   -- Howard Chu