[Fedora-directory-users] Good afternoon .... 1st post by the new guy

lance raymond lance.raymond at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 20:04:50 UTC 2007

OK, so not sure how big this list is, but I hope to get better response then
on the fedora forums.

I will start this on a high/basic level to make sure i am headed in the
right direction, We want a central database of users, so naturally I looked
at openldap. It's not a 1-2-3 as much as Fedora's directory services seems.
So I have installed it on a fedora machine, added my company DN, as well as
a few test users.

Now I setup my fc7 desktop to look @ him as an ldap server, pointed to that
IP and saved. Tried to ssh in as a user not on the local machine but in the
directory service thinking he would look to the DS server and authenticate,
but it fails.

So the high level question is, that is how it's supposed to work right? I
used a windows ldap browser and connected, fetched the DN from a dropdown it
found (confirming it's running, and has the right context) but couldn't
browse the tree (I don't know if DS let's you view the tree via a basic ldap
browser)

But if the above is the case, there is a lot of reading but no clear cut
client setup connect like this. There are pages of tree, scheme, etc.  We
are a small group 15 people but have 50+ servers, so it would be nice to
have a single login place, so any help, step in the right direction will be
appreciated. I tried openldap, was able to browse the tree, but the same
result when I tried to ssh in as my test user.

So I guess I am interested if people are really using this or sticking with
another ldap solution.

Thanks.