[Fedora-directory-users] Passwords with Unicode characters

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Sat Apr 19 10:40:27 UTC 2008

Howard Wilkinson wrote:
> We have run into a 'funny' when using the password_modify plugin we
> get an unexpected result in trying to set a password. The password
> used had a '£' (British Pund Symbol) in it. The server accepted the
> password but would not allow the use of the same string to log in. I
> suspect that the passwords are being 8th bit stripped. Is this
> possible, correct, and what should happen?
>
> Is there any facility to set a Unicode string as a password. If so
> what format (UTF-8, UTF-16[BE|LE], ...) should it take.
>
> Regards, Howard
> --
>
> Howard Wilkinson
>

> Phone:
>

> +44(20)76907075
>
> Coherent Technology Limited
>

> Fax:
>

> 23 Northampton Square,
>

> Mobile:
>

> +44(7980)639379
>
> United Kingdom, EC1V 0HL
>

> Email:
>

> howard at cohtech.com

I have made this work by switching off 7-bit clean, and changing the
password complexity so that the minimum of each class is zero and there
is a requirement for 3 classes. BUT there is a definite bug in the 7-bit
clean interface as it removes the 8th-bit and does not reject the
request when setting the password. I would have expected a code 19 -
Constraint violation in this case.

howard at cohtech.com