[Fedora-directory-users] SOLVED: NSPR "Certificate type not approved for application" error when a TLS-enabled proxy LDAP OpenLDAP server connects to Fedora Directory Server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 18:08:03 UTC 2008

Aleksander Adamowski wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
>> That should be fine.  Fedora DS can do the same thing e.g. with
>> server-to-server chaining and replication, using the server cert for
>> client cert auth.  It just depends on the type of cert issued and/or
>> the trust flags on the cert.
> If I understand correctly you're implying that server2server ssl
> connections are handled with the same logic that client2server ssl?
What I meant was that the server handles any client cert based auth the
same way, regardless of whether the "client" is a user or another server.

> Then it's strange, since I'm using multi-master replication with all
> s2s connections using SSL (port 636). I've generated all the
> certificates (for FDS servers and for OpenLDAP servers) using the same
> OpenSSL CA openssl.cnf config file (but a slightly different
> configuration section WRT subjectAltName field - see below).
>
> The relevant fields of the OpenLDAP server's certificate are:
>
>        X509v3 extensions:
>            X509v3 Basic Constraints:
>                CA:FALSE
>            Netscape Cert Type:
>                SSL Server
>            X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
>                email:postmaster at MY_DOMAIN_NAME
>
> While the same fields of the FDS certificate are:
>
>        X509v3 extensions:
>            X509v3 Basic Constraints:
>                CA:FALSE
>            Netscape Cert Type:
>                SSL Server
>            X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
>                DNS:servername2.MY_DOMAIN_NAME,
> DNS:servername3.MY_DOMAIN_NAME
>
> Other differences are only in key length, crypto algorithms and values
> of serial numbers, fingerprint etc.
>
> So the only one possibly relevant difference is that in OpenLDAP's
> cert the subjectAltName field contains an e-mail address and in Fedora
> Directory Server's it contains alternative DNS host names of the FDS
> server. Might it be the cause?
I'm not sure how NSS handles certificate verification with
subjectAltName.  I know that in order for the validation to work without
subjectAltName, the leftmost RDN in the subjectDN must be cn=FQDN of the
server e.g. cn=ldap1.example.com, ou=Fedora Directory Server,
dc=example, dc=com

I'm also not sure if that applies to cert based auth.

>>> I thought that there might be a similar method to tweak behaviour of
>>> dirsrv (although not through nss.conf since dirsrv doesn't use
>>> mod_nss and doesn't contain a http server in any part ), like some
>>> undocumented setting in dse.ldif. However, more correct fix turned
>>> out to be disallow certificate-based client authentication.
>> See the RHDS 8.0 Admin Guide, Chapter 12 -
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/ and
>> http://tinyurl.com/688w9y
>>
>> See also the detailed information for all of the security/encryption
>> configuration entries and attributes - http://tinyurl.com/35qddb -
>> there is also an apparently undocumented entry cn=RSA, cn=encryption,
>> cn=config.
> Yup, I've read that but there isn't anything conclusive over there. I
> was counting on some undocumented configuration attribute that would
> control which usages are allowed in client x.509 certs.

Ok.  I'm not sure what NSS is complaining about here.  If NSS is
complaining about the hostname in the subjectDN or the subjectAltName
doesn't match the actual server, I don't think that makes sense in the
context of cert based auth, since a client will usually not have an
associated FQDN.  So I believe it's complaining that the cert was not
issued as an SSL client cert.  I do know that you can issue a cert that
can be used for both SSL server and SSL client use.  I'm not sure if you
can use certutil -M to modify the trust flags of a server cert after
issuance to allow it to be used for SSL client use.  The guys at
news.mozilla.org:mozilla.dev.tech.crypto would know for sure.

Finally, there doesn't appear to be a way in Fedora DS to allow other
types of certificates to be used for client cert auth, or to ignore
problems of this nature.