[Fedora-directory-users] ObjectClass PosixGroup + UID/GID auto-generation

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 16:17:35 UTC 2008

Kashif Ali wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> After spending a long weekend, configuring Fedora-DS to have central
> autentication + Central home dirs, I now have two issues which I would
> like to know if anyone can help me with.
>
> 1) Currently when adding a new user, I have to manually goto advanced
> options and add a value called posixgroup to the object class, this is
> so that groupID have a name and you dont see the error GroupID name
> not found when logging onto a box. Is there anyway to update the
> default user template, so that, when you enable posixaccount,
> posixgroup objectclass is automatically added? thus removing the
> manual process?
>
> 2) Is there anyway to get the directory server generate UNIQUE UID/GID
> based on last uid created. Ideally I would like the range to start
> from 5000 and finish at 8000. The automatic procedure would just use
> the next available uid/gid in the list, again removing the need for
> the user to check and make sure the id is unique.
There is a first version of a "Distributed Numeric Assignment" plug-in
in the current Fedora Directory Server code that deals with this
problem.  It is designed to manage a range of unique numeric values
across multiple master FDS instances.

You can read more about the current implementation at
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNA_Plugin_Implementation

I am currently doing some re-design and improvement to this plug-in to
address some shortcomings of the current implementation.  These areas
are pointed out at the bottom of the above page.

-NGK