[Fedora-directory-users] where is password sync for rhds

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 14:56:15 UTC 2008

Aaron Oas wrote:
>> I think you can just use
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Download the latest
>>
> PassSync.msi
>
>> here.  If you're already using it, you shouldn't have to do anything.
>>

>> This is dated 20060330 which was well after the 7.1 release.  I
>>
> suppose
>
>> this is one of those times where the Red Hat docs can trip you up if
>>
> you
>
>> are a Fedora DS user.
>>

> # rpm -q --whatprovides /opt/redhat-ds/winsync/PassSync.msi
> redhat-ds-7.1SP3-5.RHEL4
> # md5sum /opt/redhat-ds/winsync/PassSync.msi
> 54c33a6e665bb2526f1f286e505cc0ff  /opt/redhat-ds/winsync/PassSync.msi
>
> The one we installed when setting up RHDS 7.1SP3 has the same md5sum as
> the latest one on the FDS download site.  I assume PassSync.msi in RHDS
> 7.1 was updated to current as part of one of the service packs to RHDS
> 7.1.

Yes.  And that is the most current one.
> That seems to be in alignment with the verbiage "if 7.1 is upgraded to a
> *service pack* [emphasis added] or 8.0" that I found in the 8.0
> documentation -- i.e. if you had a non-service-pack 7.1 and upgraded to
> a 7.1SP version, you also needed to upgrade the PassSync.msi on the AD
> server.

The problem with the verbiage has been reported and will be fixed shortly.
> Well, it continues to seem odd that Red Hat is not supplying the
> PassSync.msi anywhere in the RHDS 8.0 packages.  Where would a new
> customer implementing RHDS 8.0 expect to find PassSync.msi?

I'm not sure.  You should definitely file a ticket via your RHDS support
channel.  It may be a separate file in your RHN channel.
> On the other hand, it looks like I'm current.  If I hear back from my
> Red Hat support ticket to the contrary, I'll reply to this in case
> anyone else was dying to know the answer.

Yes.  The PassSync.msi available from the fedora ds download page is the
same one to use with RHDS 8.0