[Fedora-directory-users] FDS 1.1 Transport endpoint is not connected

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 00:04:18 UTC 2008

Richard Hesse wrote:
> Not much new to report. The server hung again and the only thing in the
> error log with connection tracing is this:
>
> [18/Feb/2008:13:14:03 +0000] - PR_Write(41818752) Netscape Portable Runtime
> error -5961 (TCP connection reset by peer.)
> [18/Feb/2008:13:14:03 +0000] - ber_flush failed, error 104 (Connection reset
> by peer)
>
> Which doesn't look like much.
Well, it tells me that the server was attempting to write to a socket,
and got an error.  -5961 is PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR which can occur if
the system call returns either EPIPE or ECONNRESET.  And error 104 is
indeed ECONNRESET.
/usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h:#define        ECONNRESET      104
/* Connection reset by peer */

AFAICT, this can happen if the client shuts down the socket (for any
number of reasons) but the server is still attempting to send data.  In
this case, the client will respond with a TCP RST.  I'm not sure how or
why this could happen.  I'm open to other causes for ECONNRESET.
What would be really, really interesting is if we could narrow this down
to a particular client application and run ethereal on the connection.

Are you using SSL?
> As for network tuning, it's already been done.
>
> Max descriptors is set to 32768.
>
> Are there any gdb commands I can run while the server is in a hung state?

Sure.  For whatever the cause of the ECONNRESET, it should not cause the
server to hang, and it would be interesting to find out what it's
doing.  You'll have to install the fedora-ds-base-debuginfo package.
Attach to the process - gdb /usr/sbin/ns-slapd <pid of process>
Then, dump the thread stacks -

(gdb) thread apply all bt

If you want the output to go to a file, redirect gdb logging to a file
first before doing the thread apply e.g.

(gdb) set logging on
(gdb) set logging file stack.txt